If an individual is coming to the U.S. for a temporary period, whether for pleasure or business, one should consider entering the U.S. as a visitor. Visitors must demonstrate that they will not be engaged in gainful employment in the U.S. and intend to return home at the end of their stay by showing that they have a job, family, property, or business ties abroad that will draw them back when their visit ends. The burden is on the visitor to prove this to the government. Your Clark Lau LLC team can assist you in presenting your facts to the government to meet each of their concerns.

B-1 visitors come for business, but must show they have employment abroad and are only here in a travel capacity - for example, to attend a trade show, meet with a customer, or sell a product or service. They are not permitted to work in the U.S., but can engage in business activities normally performed in travel status.

B-2 visitors come for pleasure - for example, a tour, sightseeing, or visiting family or friends. The immigration officer will inquire how long the visitor needs to stay and will expect assurance that the visitor has sufficient funds to be able to remain in the U.S. without working for the period of time requested.

ESTA or Visa Waiver is available to citizens of certain countries who have a round-trip ticket terminating outside the U.S. within 90 days. Unlike other visitors, they do not need to apply for a visa stamp in their passports before traveling. Instead they must first apply online through the ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization) program for criminal activity and security screening.